Sunday, December 21, 2008

Degan Reed Swapp


So first things first: ALL of you that voted I would go late, you were WRONG haha.. and those of you who voted early GOOD JOB!! you all had the faith like I did. Ok. so now the details on my lil miracle baby.
He was born on Friday December 19th @ 11:53 am. He weighed 6 lbs 10 oz and was 19 inches long. I went on Thursday for my appointment and since we were gettin closer and closer to the new year and I was SOO over being pregnant, I asked her to strip me and she decided it would be ok, but she didn't think it would put me into labor.. WELL.. after she did she said " Call me at 9 pm and let me know how your feeling, so that was a good sign that just maybe it would work. I went home from the appointment and finished shoveling the snow on my side walk (my brother inlaw was doing the rest on the 4wheeler) I knew I had to do as much as I could to help the process along and yup.. soon enough I was having contractions.. they started at about 5 pm and just continued to get Stronger and closer so I went to my nieces dance recital , Brett had to go to work and I wasnt gunna sit home alone and wonder if It was for real (even though I was pretty sure). After the recital I came home called Laurie told her yup im pretty sure this is it so .. yada yada.. I knew I was going to have this lil boy in 24 hours. I had always told myself I was gunna try to stay home as long as I could stand it because its much more comfortable and I only live about 3 minutes away. So.. I lasted till about 2 am.. The contractions weren't horrible but I just wanted to sleep cause I knew once this baby came .. that part of my life was over. I went in hopeing for some drugs to help sleep but I was to a 2+ so she let me hang out and if in an hour I progressed I could get my epidural, well when she came back I was at a 4 and 90% effaced so they called the anithesiologist (miracle worker) but he didn't arrive till about 6:30 am.. so by this time I was really starting to get cranky from no sleep and the pain. PS I hate IV's I think i might of went in to it already knowing that but it was worse than childbirth all together haha.. anyways.. I got my epidural started feeling it about 10 min later was so happy and it does not hurt I dont know why people think of it as this MONSTER needle and all that it was definetly my friend. anyways.. a funny story.. I was gettin my cathider (sorry TMI) and the nurse asked me to grab my gown to get it out of the way .. and I said ok.. "whats that? and she kinda looked at me like uh I just explained what im doing, and I said no this.. I was rubbing my OWN LEG.. I had gotten SO numb that I didn't even know what my own leg felt like... I could feel it with my hand but I could not feel my own hand rubbing my leg that was the start of all the laughing and enjoying my sons birth.
I had a few minor complications.. my BP started dropping pretty low so I had to get some medicine for that and then come to find out Degan's cord was only 9in long so he was having a hard time his heart rate would drop unless I was laying in the right spot so I had to have oxygen on for the whole time and lay on my right side.. The nurse kept asking me to let her know if I had the urge to push and it was really hard to know cause I was pretty numb but finally.. i said oh.. i think I do so we got my nurse and she came and checked me and said OOH.. yea.. we are ready to have a baby.. so we all get excited.. and the pushing began oh.. i forgot to say that the whole time Degan was posterior and so it was taking labor a little longer to progress because of that.. so he finally turned the correct way and I went super fast and we began pushing.. and then he thought it would be funny to turn AGAIN.. and his lay on his cord so I had to stop pushing and turn on my side AGAIn.. let his heart rate come back up, relax and turn back.. I think we waited about ten minutes and then I pushed two more times and out he came into this wonderful world. I got to meet my son... All these wonderful emotions just hit me and I was bawling he was bawling my mom was bawling and I look over and so is Brett.. It was such an amazing expirence, I dont even know how to explain it, it really made those 10 long months disappear and just be happy to have gone thru it all.
We got to come home yesterday and man was I happy to be home.. their is just something about being at your own home that is wonderful. Plus I got to start using all the great things we got for our lil boy. My living room looks like a bomb went off with all this baby stuff. Well I guess I have rambled on enough about me and my baby. Thank you to all that have helped me through these crazy 10 months.. they are over and now my new journey begins being a MOM!

15 comments:

Em said...

CoNgRaTs!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is so beautiful I'm so happy for you! Being a mom is the best thing ever!! And when your milk comes in all the way and you think you might die just know it doesn't feel that way forever!!!! You are going to be the best mom ever!!!!!!

Taylors said...

I am so happy he is here and all is ok. It sounds like you guys had some pretty scary moments with the heart rate and everything else! I am glad everything worked out. I am with you on IVs! I would rather have 10 babies rather than get 1 IV!!!!
Oh, I love the picture of Brett and Degan... you will take a lot of those dad's are always asleep with the baby while mom is up "getting things done" why we can't just relax I have no idea! I think I have 10 pictures of each of my kids with Rick asleep and nope not one of me! Congrats I am so glad he is here and you aren't prego anymore, that is the best!!

Brittany said...

Congrats!!! That is so awesome and the baby is beautiful. I am so glad everything went okay and it sounds like you are doing really well. I am so happy for you guys. Now the adventures really begin!

~..kass..~ said...

I am so happy you went early too cause that also means I was right lol
I am also so happy that you typed out your birth story, I always love reading those:) He was about the same as Kenton, he was 6.10 19&1/2" YAY that no you can be home on Christmas with your little family :) I can't wait to see more pics!

Kassi said...

He is so cute! I cried pretty much through your whole story! I am so happy you are both healthy and doing well! Congrats on everything!

Higbee said...

Congrats!! He's so adorable!

Lane, Amanda, and Mason said...

Congrats!!! He is SO DANG Cute;) It was SO fun seeing you guys!! We'll have to get together sometime!! In fact what are you guys doing for New Years Eve??

Errin said...

nice, story! I loved it, CONGRATS!!

Sam and Mandy Noel said...

Congrats!!!! I am so sad we didnt get to end up seeing you today. He is so so so cute! I am so happy for you and so glad that everything went well for you. Congratulations again!

Andrea Gilberg said...

Exciting...I'm so excited for you guys. Congrats you will have so much fun. What a great christmas present

. said...

Congrats! He is so so cute. I'm so happy for you guys and glad things went well!

cassidy said...

our birth stories are WAY similar!! That is so crazy... Harlo was posterior too... and yeah, we went to the hospital at midnight after laboring at home for 8 hours because I thought it would help me sleep... yeah, not so much! I'm glad someone else knows what it feels like to be up all night and in labor and THEN have a baby. I was so worn out afterwords, but you can't really sleep because of all the adrenaline, huh? So fun though, i hope you and degan are doing well! I can't wait to get them together!!

Beau, Ashley, + Noah said...

I am bawling right now! You are so lucky, he is so freaking adorable, and I am so happy for you! You deserve it..! Congratulations and thank you for telling the story! I enjoyed every bit! Love you liv!

The Robinson's said...

Congrats!!! He is so adorable and what a beautiful happy family:) I am so excited for you guys and all the new adventures!

The Holyoak's said...

Hey your little man is so dang cute!!! It's so fun to have a newborn...i have to say i wish it was me! well i never see you at work anymore so start working on some wednesday's girl!!! hope to see you soon and congrats on little Degan!! Lori